Have you ever sat in an interview and wondered why somebody was asking you a slightly left field question? Although you probably don’t realise it, there may well be a good reason why you are being asked something that seems completely irrelevant at the time.
Two tips for spotting trick interview questions Job interviews.All too often some questions can feel like an exercise in catching you out. Fortunately it is possible to prepare so that you’re ready to respond and give as positive a response as you can to those trick interview questions. Here’s how to spot them:
- If it involves imagining yourself as something (e.g. What biscuit would you be if you were a biscuit?) – These questions may sound daft, but they are aimed at learning something about how you see yourself. So instead of giving the temptingly easy silly answer (“Squashed fly (Garibaldi) biscuit because I feel downtrodden most of the time”) focus on something that will communicate a positive message about you.
- If it’s weird and out there and leaves you feeling a bit confused (e.g Yellow is over here. Blue is over there. Where are you?) – At first you’ll be waiting for the punchline, but many of these questions are about seeing how you are at blue sky thinking or at responding to more obscure topics. The best thing to do is to respond in character with the question and take it seriously, again whilst aiming to give a good flavour of your character.
The first 50 are below and the 2nd 50 are downloadable using the form below. Enjoy.
1. If you could be Batman or Robin, which one would you be?
2. What football team do you Support? – Why them?
3. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
4. Why on earth are you here today?
5. What was the most traumatic experience to happen in your personal life?
6. Sing a song that best describes you.
7. When you go on holiday, when do you pack your case?
8. What would I find in your fridge right now?
9. How would you explain a database in three sentences to your eight year old nephew?
10. If aliens landed in front of you and, in exchange for anything you desire, offered you any position on their planet what would you want?
11. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?
12. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?
13. If I assembled three of your format supervisors in a room and asked them about you, what would they say about you that you would say is not true?
14. How would you design a spice rack for a blind person?
15. If you were a character from Star Wars, which one would you be?
16. Sell me this glass of water.
17. What has been your most bizarre life experience?
18. Why are manhole covers round?
19. What do you think would be a fitting epitaph on your gravestone?
20. What’s the most interesting holiday you’ve ever had?
21 - 50 and link to the second 50