In this followup to 444 Most Popular Job Interviewer Questions To Prepare Yourself With, here are questions you should consider asking the interviewer instead of the other way around.
TIP: Know someone who has an upcoming job interview? Share this list with them right now.
Although the article keeps saying ‘company, company, company’, the questions are relevant if you’re applying for a position at any other kind of organization.
The Best Questions To Ask In A Job InterviewQuestions 1-71 are about the job itself
Questions 72-111 are about the company
Questions 112-131 are about the boss
Questions 132-162 are about the team
Questions 163-175 are about feedback and next steps
- Why has this job opened up?
- Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
- How long has this position existed?
- How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
- What tools are available to perform the role’s responsibilities?
- What would you consider to be the most important aspects of this job?
- Can you tell me about the competencies necessary to perform this job?
- What types of skills do you NOT already have on board that you’re looking to fill with a new hire?
- What improvements or changes do you hope the new candidate will bring to this position?
- What do you think are the most enjoyable or gratifying aspects for someone in this role?
- What would you say are the top personality traits someone needs to do this job well?
- What happened to the last person who held this job?
- Would you want me to do anything different from the previous person(s) in the position?
- What were the major strengths and weaknesses of the last person who held this job?
- May I talk with the last person who held this position?
- How many people have held this position in the last two years?
- How many people will you be interviewing for this position?
- How would you describe the ideal candidate?
- Thinking back to the person who you’ve seen do this job best, what made their performance so outstanding?
- How would you define “success” for this position?